Skip to main content

Present Continuous and Present Simple

Present Continuous and Present Simple

We use the present continuous for something happening now, temporary situation or short periods of time.
·         He is playing cricket.
·         She is working now.
·         Look! Teacher is writing on the board.
·         He’s working at a mall.

The word “always” can be used with the present continuous to mean 'very rare', ‘very often’.
John is always going with his uncle.
≫ means ≫ John goes rarely.

We use the present simple for repeated actions, thoughts, feelings, states, and permanent situation
·         He eats an apple daily.
·         She likes drawing.
·         He always writes a letter. (every time – repeated action)
·         Painting means a lot to him. (State)
·         He is painter. He does lots of painting.
·         It is our house. We live here. (permanent)

We also use the present simple in I promise, she agrees, he refuses, etc.
·         He promises he'll write to you.
·         It's all right. I forgive you.
·         I refuse your proposal.

Popular posts from this blog