Present Continuous (Present Progressive)

Present Continuous Tense
(also called present progressive)

Simple definition
The present continuous means that we are in the middle of an action.

Formal Definition
The present continuous tense is used for actions happening now or for an action that is unfinished. This tense is also used when the action is temporary.

One more Formal Definition
The present continuous (also called present progressive) is a verb tense which is used to show that an ongoing action is happening now, either at the moment of speech or now in a larger sense. The present continuous can also be used to show that an action is going to take place in the (near) future.

FORMULA
BE [is/are/am] + Verb [fourth form (an-ing)]

Fourth form of verb is called Present Participle form and an –ing form.

Singular Subject = is
Plural subject = are
I = am

EXAMPLES
→ I am playing cricket.
→ Yaqoob is reading a book.
→ You are watching TV.

NEGATIVE EXAMPLES
→ I am not playing cricket. OR I’m not playing cricket.
→ Yaqoob is not reading a book.  OR Yaqoob isn’t reading a book.
→ You are not watching TV. OR You aren’t watching TV

INTERROGATIVE / QUESTION
→ Is Yaqoob reading a book?
→ Is Yaqoob not reading a book? OR Isn’t Yaqboob reading a book?
→ Are you watching TV?
→ Are you not watching TV? OR Aren’t you watching TV?

We use the present continuous to say that we are in the middle of an action.
→ I'm waiting for the train. (I'm at the station now.)
I'm getting the lunch ready. (I'm in the kitchen now.)

I'm waiting means that I am in the middle of a period of waiting. The wait is not yet over.

Present continuous tense can be used to express something happening right now or to express something that is not happening right now.

→ He is not standing.
→ Aslam is sitting in the chair.
→ They are not watching the movie.
→ Rose is reading a book.

Present continuous tense can also be used to show that something will happen in the near future or will not happen in the near future.

→ I am meeting some friends after work.
→ I am not going to the party tonight.
→ Is he visiting his parents next weekend?
→ Isn't he coming with us tonight? OR Is he not coming with us?

Another use of this tense is when talking about a planned event in the future.
→ He is going to America next year.
→ They are leaving for the beach tomorrow morning.
→ The kids are arriving at six o'clock.
→ She is speaking at the conference this evening.

We can use always with the present continuous to mean 'very often', usually with the added meaning of ‘too often'.

Ahmed and Aslam are always fighting.
(= Ahmed and Aslam fight very often.)
She is always making silly mistakes.
(= she makes silly mistakes too often.)
She is constantly complaining about her sister.
Her mother is forever misplacing her keys.

THOUGHTS – FEELINGS – STATES
We normally use the present simple (not present continuous) to talk about thoughts and feelings.
→ She thinks it's a good program.
Yaqoob likes his job.

We also use it to talk about states and permanent facts.
Reporting means a lot to her.
Paper burns easily.

We also use the present simple in I promise, I agree, I refuse, etc.
I promise I will write to you.
It is all right. I forgive you.