State Verb and Action Verb

State Verb and Action Verb

Simple Definition
A state means something staying the same.
→ The window is clean.
→ I own the house.
State verbs cannot usually be continuous.
NOT I am owning the house.

An action means something happening.
→ She is playing cricket.
An action verb can be simple or continuous.
→ She plays cricket.

Formal Definition
All verbs in English are classified as either state or action verbs. Action verbs describe actions we take (things we do) or things that happen. State verbs refer to the way things 'are' - their appearance, state of being, smell, etc.
BASIC

State
Action
The flat is clean.
I'm cleaning the flat. (I’m = I am)
I owns the house.
I am buying the land.
The cupboard contained old books.
He put the books in the box.


State verbs cannot usually be continuous.
NOT I am owning the house.

MORE BASIC + INTERMEDIATE
State Verbs
State verbs cannot usually be continuous.
→ The flowers smell lovely.
NOT Those flowers are smelling lovely.
→ She heard him speak yesterday afternoon.
NOT She was hearing him speak yesterday afternoon.
→ They will love the concert tomorrow evening.
NOT They will be loving the concert tomorrow evening.

Action Verbs
An action verb can be simple or continuous.
→ They’ve been working since seven o'clock this morning.
→ They worked yesterday.
→ She's studying mathematics. (She’s = she is)
→ She studies mathematics.

Sometimes we can use a verb either for a state or for an action.
[Reference: (Second Edition) Oxford Practice Grammar by John Eastwood Unit 7]
State (Simple Tense)
Action (Simple or action)
I think you're right. (= believe)
I'm thinking about the problem.
We have three cars.
(= own)
We're having lunch.
(— eating)
I come from Sweden. (= live in)
I'm coming from Sweden.
(= travelling)
I usually come on the plane.
I see your problem.
(= understand)
Mark is seeing his boss.
(= meeting)
Do you see that house?
(= have in sight)
I see Daniel quite often.
This picture looks nice.
I'm looking at this picture.
She appears very nervous.
(= seems)
She appeared/was appearing in a film.
The bag weighed five kilos.
They weighed/were weighing my bag.
The coat fits.
(= is the right size)
I'm fitting a lock to the window.


[Weight (Noun) (وزن)] [Weigh (verb) (تولنا / وزن کرنا)

These examples with the verb be are about how people behave.
[Reference: (Second Edition) Oxford Practice Grammar by John Eastwood Unit 7]
BE VERB
First form
Second form
Third form
Fourth form
Infinite form
Past form
Past participle form
Present participle form
Be
Present cases (is, are, am)
Was / were
Been
being

Permanent quality
Temporary behaviour
Claire is a very sociable person.
Andrew is being very sociable today.
That man is an idiot.
You are being an idiot this morning.
(= You are behaving like an idiot.)

We use is / are / am / being only to talk about behaviour, not about other things.
[Reference: (Second Edition) Oxford Practice Grammar by John Eastwood Unit 7]

→ I'm better now, thanks.
→ Are you ready?
→ Is anyone interested?

INTERMEDIATE

We can use some state verbs in the continuous to talk about a short period of time.
[Reference: (Second Edition) Oxford Practice Grammar by John Eastwood Unit 7]
Permanent State
(simple tenses)
Short Period
(continuous)
I love/enjoy parties.
I'm loving/enjoying this party.
I like school.
I'm liking school much better now.
Holidays cost a lot of money.
This trip is costing me a lot of money.

Sometimes we can use either the simple or the continuous with no difference in meaning.
You look well.
→ You're looking well. (You’re = You are)
→ We feel a bit sad.
→ We're feeling a bit sad

Generally, state verbs divide into four groups:

Verbs Showing Senses
Feel - I feel happy.
Hear - I hear someone in the other room.
Smell - It smells bad in here.
See - I see three trees in the yard.

Verbs Showing Thought or Opinions
Recognize - She recognizes him from high school. 
Believe - Do you believe what he says every time?
Understand - I understand the situation very well.
Know - She knows the answer to the question.

Verbs Showing Emotion
Need - I need some time with my friends. 
Love - I love listening to classical music.
Hate - She hates to get up early every day.
Want - I want some help with my homework.

Verbs Showing Possession
Have - I have a car and a dog.
Own – My friend owns a motorcycle and a scooter, but no car.
Belong - Do you belong to the fitness club?
Possess - She possesses an incredible talent for talking.


If you are unsure of whether a verb is an action verb or a state verb ask yourself the following question:

Does this verb relate some sort of process or a state?
If it relates a process, then the verb is an action verb. If it relates a state, the verb is a state verb.

INTERMEDIATE PLUS

Some State Verb List

Like
Know
Belong
love
Realize
Fit
hate
Suppose
Contain
want
Mean
Consist
need
understand
Seem
prefer
Believe
Depend
agree
remember
Matter
mind
recognise
See
own
Appear
look (=seem)
sound
Taste
Smell
hear
Astonish
Deny
disagree
Please
Impress
satisfy
Promise
Surprise
doubt
think (=have an opinion)
feel (=have an opinion)
wish
Imagine
Concern
dislike
Be
Have
deserve
Involve
Include
Lack
measure (=have length etc)
Possess
Owe
weigh (=have weight)